Monday, March 28, 2011

Do not stand at my grave and weep by: Mary Elizabeth Frye

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am in a thousand winds that blow,
I am the softly falling snow.
I am the gentle showers of rain,
I am the fields of ripening grain.
I am in the morning hush,
I am in the graceful rush
Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
I am the starshine of the night.
I am in the flowers that bloom,
I am in a quiet room.
I am in the birds that sing,
I am in each lovely thing.
Do not stand at my grave bereft
I am not there. I have not left. Well I'm randomly using stumbleupon and I stumbled on this poem which I really kinda like :P That's what wikipedia/stumble is for I guess :) The poem was written by Mary Frye, an orphan, and the story behind it is actually rather interesting. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_not_stand_at_my_grave_and_weep) if you don't want to read my paraphrase.... It's pretty much that these people that Mary was living with, one of the ladies mom's died and the lady couldn't go to her mothers funeral or even visit her grave. That's what inspired this poem and Mary just wrote it down on a brown paper bag before sending it around. :) I enjoyed this poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment