Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Masks


Masks

Masks come in all shapes and sizes. People see them as those things made of plastic and other materials, that are displayed on a face. They don't have just one meaning though, like all the shapes, sizes, and colors, they have millions of meanings. One of the meanings could be to tell a story, which I think is what many people see masks as. Another could be to hide from others, or to camouflage in. The one type of mask that I'm most familiar with is Concealing.
People all over conceal who they are at some point in time in their life. They don't want others to realize who they are, or why they are who they are. On occasion people feel as though their surrounding peers don't care who they are and feel the need to conform with the remainder of the group.   They don't see the true identity of the person, because they are so self absorbed, or for some other reason. One of my friends is like that. She doesn't care who I am, or who I want to be, as long as I'm like her it doesn't matter to her. I don't know if she is self absorbed or if she thinks as I grow up I should change with her, but I'm not and she gets really rude about it.
    Another example of concealing would be from when I was at church just the other day. I was trying very hard to keep my mask on, but for some reason I just couldn't. It was the fact that my teacher was trying to be so serious, but I just felt so tired and my mask slipped. I got kicked out of class, because I was doing nothing, except trying to keep from laughing. I don't do good in serious situations, and I just couldn't handle it. My attitude came out in the instant that I lost my mask and that is the reason I got kicked out. I was being myself and my teacher wanted me to be someone that I can't be. All my life people have been telling me to be myself and then there's this one instant when my mask slips and I'm myself. I get in trouble for being myself, so why should I be who I am?
    When people grow up their masks grow stronger or weaker depending on their confidence. When they have little confidence their masks grow stronger, like mine did. They grow and grow until the person doesn't even recognize who they are anymore. When they look back on their lives they see that, but they don't want too. There are times when they realize that they could've said more, but their mask was taking over again. A mask of concealing isn't just hiding your emotions on your face and not showing them; it's also a way not to feel them, or to ignore them. People may mask out how they feel,however in the end the mask cathces up to them. When a weak mask is present, it probably means that person has alot of confidence, because they feel safe around people and don't feel the need to hide from them. That means they really don't need a mask. They might need a mask sometimes, but it doesn't have to be as strong.
Masks can sink a person low or raise a person high. All the presidents probably have really strong masks, even though they probably have lots of confidence. Presidents have to hide their true emotion it seems, just like boys aren’t supposed to cry. Masks can just be sterotypes really, like the emos, the goths. They probably are all behind their mask trying to live their life without being bothered.             
    Masks can be good things and bad things, but for me I consider them something to be dreaded, but thankful for. I've told you two examples why they are that, and that is really the only reason for it. I'm not accepted for who I am and that's my problem. Sometimes masks don’t help, sometimes they hurt, but can they be stopped? My mask is my life force pretty much, if I didn’t have my mask then I don’t know what I would do. I hide behind my mask as the world goes by, because people scare me and I’m not like most other people. I don’t understand them or anything like that, so hiding is the best I can do for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment