Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day 2- Monday July 30

I'm back from Guatemala and Belize now so I thought I would just put my journal entries up here for yall to read about my trip. Just beware that there is about to be a heck of a lot of posts :} Also I'm legit-ally just copying my journal but adding some pictures, and my journal is written in Spanglish in some parts, so you might not understand it all ^.^

Wake up- 6:42
Alarm set for - 6:30
We got ready and everything
Breakfast -7:15
We ate with Elena. She made us scrambled eggs with tomatoes in it. It was really good. She also made jello! We had tea and pan to go with it.
Escuela- 8 o'clock
We walked to the school and then split into our nuevo clases. I'm with Blake y Lauren. Yolanda es nuestro maestro. We talked en espanol para cuatro horas!
Noon- leave escuela
Escuela was good, it really reminded me that yo pienso espanol. I understand what people are saying, but I find that I'm not talking back unless I'm addressed. It's just easier to listen. I mean I even did this en escuela back home, pero yo supposed to be practicando mi espanol... Well we actually got outta class early and so we -Blake, Lauren, y yo- went on a walk around the block. It was actually rather nice. Then we all met as a group in front of the school and waited around AGAIN for directions on when to be back and when we would be done with the tour. After that we headed out.
12:30- passports to bank
So we exchanged some money at the bank, but it's a total rip off so I don't plan on doing it again. Everywhere is taking US dollars anyway.
1 o'clock- Lunch
We had lunch with Dorita, Elena, Chirino?, y Melo?. It was a sopa de pollo broth with rice y veggies. REALLY good. There was pan y tortillas con this stir-fry of ground carne no se qui fui, y veggies. Tehre was also rice. Had water with that meal. Mariah talked like the whole time, not really eating... I'm worried about her, she is so picky...Sure we have a bunch of snack food, but she needs real food still! She's all "Maybe I'll lose a few pounds," but that is NOT BUENO! She needs to eat...no ifs ands or buts. We can't do anything about it but bug her between meals so she doesn't disrespect our host family. She claims that if she doesn't like something she starts to gag on it. I don't believe her though. It's the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a long time. After we were done eating we sat around and talked FOREVER AND EVA.
2 o'clock- Back at Escuela para tour
We had to wait around again but then we went on a tour. We went to the old capital, La Casa de Jade, Chocolate museum, market place, y central park. We were followed EVERYWHERE by street venders. No me gusta porque yo no quiero usar mi Anti-D's. They would get all up in your face "Pretty lady why you no buy" "I make for you" "Special price just for you" "Name your price" It was awful. I just wanted to scream at them to go away, or slap them... The old capital was a grogeous broken down building (Earthquake). The capital was moved to Guatemala City after a earthquake. We had to go through security to get in and then we were shown pictures of photokids 20 years. Something about Suenos. You see after the war (no se que war...probably their revolution war) Someone gave out cameras to get pictures taken of those who survived. They were sad and pretty pictures. Muchos suenos.
Got some good pictures at the Jade place. Got tons at the park. Probably all amazing, no se porque mi camera necisita arreglar! The park was GORGEOUS even with stupid freaking venders. I mean I understand they have to make moneh somehow, but still. So anyway, at the market I almost had a meltdown. I'm NOT GOOD CON PERSONAS! I did buy two keychains for like $5 or something. I don't know what I plan on getting for presents, just don't know. Everything is pretty here though.
After the tour we went back to la escuela y came up with a plan.
7 o'clock- Dinner
We basically just had leftovers. It was yummy though so I didn't care. My roomie didn't eat much again though :c She talked the dinner away! Dang can she talk. We also gave some gifts. They got a map and peanut butter. They thought the map was HUGE! It was a map of Iowa.
8 o'clock- PARK TIME
We went back to the park to chill. It was really pretty at night with lights and such. We again got pounced on by venders, but not as badly. "No Gracias" got said mucho. After checking the park out we went and got ice cream at some place. It was a Calastra Waffle (yo pienso) with queso y berries and vanilla ice cream and a caramel topping. After that we went home and to sleep. Me encanta dormir!

Old Capital

Old Capital (the red is a wall I'm taking a picture over)

view from Old capital of Volcano

Random Street in Antigua..so many bikes...

No Parking Sign...yo pienso

Horse Carriage Taxi

Parque

view from a building by the parque

View from building by the parque

View from building by the parque

a building by the park

I loved the arch :}

No comments:

Post a Comment